Done blood work, have high AST. Taking Prozac, Lorazepam and Lisinopril. Is this number concerning?

I had blood work done and have an ast of 52. I take prozac, lorazapam and lisinopril. All in low doses. Is this number concerning? I have no symptoms.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 41 minutes later

The Aspartate Transaminase (AST) value of 52 is a bit high as against 40. It is less likely that the increase in your AST is due to your current medicines.

As you have no symptoms a slight increase in AST can be due to fatty liver which is the commonest cause. There are other causes of raised AST like hepatitis, alcohol consumption and muscle damage where the values are generally above 100 (3-4 times the normal values).

The interpretation of elevated AST levels depends upon the entire clinical evaluation of an individual, so I would suggest you to consult your treating physician. The value of 52 is not a serious concern and needs not more than sequential monitoring under care of your physician.

Hope this answer helps to settle your concern. In case of any query please write back .Please accept this answer and close the query if you have no further query.

Take care and Regards