Done blood work as dermatologist wants to prescribe Accutane. Since it causes liver inflammation, is it wise to take it?

My daughter's (14 yrs old) bloodwork has noted total bilirubin at 25.8 umol/L. WBC count (3.7) and neutros (1.9) on low side of the reference range. What could this mean? She had the bloodwork done since her dermatologist is considering prescribing Accutane. I know this drug can cause liver inflammation so is it wise to proceed with the Accutane? Also, ALK PHOS was 167 u/L and ALT 16 u/L.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query.
Your daughter's blood tests are normal and there is nothing to worry regarding this.
Some times blood values are on lowest side of reference range but it does not mean that there is some problem
Whenever any drug is started and it is known to cause liver inflammation,always liver function tests are done prior to starting the medicine
This way you can keep a check on the values of liver function tests.
Since the values are normal in your daughter's blood,you can proceed ahead with ACCUTANE.
I hope to have answered your query however you can revert to me for any further query.
Thanks and best of luck
Follow-up: Done blood work as dermatologist wants to prescribe Accutane. Since it causes liver inflammation, is it wise to take it? 25 minutes later
The white cell counts are on the lower side of normal but the bilirubin is significantly elevated. Shouldn't this require follow up?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 18 minutes later
The normal levels of bilirubin in blood are between 6 to 24 umol/l.
Your daughter's levels are normal