Done blood work. Got abnormal bilirubin level. Is it related to having wine?

I am a 41 year old female. I am 5ft5inches tall and weight 147lb. I got the results from annual blood work today and my bilirubin was 1.3. "Everything else looks great!" The doctor told me to get another blood test in 6 months however that seems like a long time to wait. I normally drink 2 glasses of red wine per night. Should I stop? I have no symptons. I eat well and exercise daily.
Posted Wed, 23 Oct 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Relax...A number cannot mean more than your health

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I understand your concerns about this raised blood bilirubin levels. However, i want to assure you that there is nothing too alarming to overly get concerned about.

The values is just above the upper limit by a few points. Also, you have no symptoms that makes it even less of a concern. because you did a series of tests alongside liver function tests and every other thing was normal, this could have been an incidental finding that represents no real pathological significance. I will suggest that you stick with the plan of your doctor to control this and see what the trend is. If it raises any further concerns, then we may become more aggressive at looking at less likely and very rare justifications.

Stick to your current regimen. A glass of wine is good enough, two not bad but one definitely better. Make the choice.

Stay relaxed...Forge about this value and concentrate on your health and the way you feel rather than a number from the lab that in no way represents you.

I hope this addresses your query fully and guides you. I wish you well and feel free to ask for any clarifications. Thanks for using our services.
Dr. Ditah, MD