Done blood tests. Could drinking wine and eating nuts be the reason for high GGT level due to selenium toxicity?

Hi, I am a 52 year old woman, had blood test results:Ht 38.3, G6P-DH 3.1, SGOT 33, SGPT 57, G-GT 95, CHOL 218, everything else normal. Had CT scan: everything normal. I consume one small glass of wine about 5 times a week, have been eating about 4 brazilian nuts daily the last few month
s (could this be the reason for hight level GGT because of selenium toxicity?). Would appreciate your opinions.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query.

GGT (Gamma Glutamyl Transpeptidase) is a microsomal enzyme and is elevated by a number of reasons like any infection, drugs, alcohol and liver inflammation.

Please provide the normal ranges and clarify as to what you mean by Ht, so that I can interpret them better.

The normal range for GGT however is 0 to 42 IU/L.

Please do reply me with the details. Awaiting your response.

Follow-up: Done blood tests. Could drinking wine and eating nuts be the reason for high GGT level due to selenium toxicity? 1 hour later
Thank you for your reply. The normal values for SGPT is 0-55, for SGOT is 5-34, for CHOLesterol is <200, for G6P-DH is 4,6-13.5 and Ht (hematocrit) is 37,7-53,7.
I have only increased levels for GGT, SGPT and CHOL.
Please also note that before my lymphadectomy,only isolated melanoma cells were found in only one sentinel node. This was a year ago. Since then all tests and CT scans were all normal except for my blood test three months ago which had slightly elevated GGT. Now the GGT value has increased more (95 U/l.) and this is what worries me. Could it be from the medication I started taking a few months ago for Osteoporosis or maybe from the wine or brazilian nuts or is it something more serious concerning my liver. I recently read that you can have selenium toxicity if you consume many brazilian nuts. Could this be the case for me. I also took spirulina supplement tablets.
My other blood test values:
GLU 78, UN 45, UA 3.6, TG, 40, HDL 77.59, LDL 97.84, CRE0.66, SGOT 33, ALP 62,54, BIL-T 0.38, TP 7.4, LDH 203, Na 139, Ca 8.79, CEA 0.8, CA-15.3 9.1, Fe 46, K 3.7, RBC 4.55, Hb 13.2, MCV 84.10, MCH 28.9, MCHC 34.4, WBC 6.93, GRAN 52.2, LYM 38, PLT 322, TKE 7.
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 6 hours later

Thank you for writing back with the details.

As I had written earlier Gama Glutamyl Transferase is a microsomal enzyme and is induced by a number of causes and its serum value increases. The mild increase in the value of SGPT and GGT probably reflects the alcohol associated liver injury.

A melanoma deposit in the liver produces liver enzyme changes when it is significantly large and is more likely to cause elevation of alkaline phosphatase.

It is the LDL, TG and HDL that has to be considered while interpreting lipid profile and since they are excellent you need not worry about it.

Brazalin nut contains about 100microgram of selinium and is unlikely to cause toxicity.

Hope I have answered all your queries. Please accept my answer if you no more concerns.