Done blood test, taken antibiotic and steroid shot. Vomiting after taking pills

ENT Specialist
My mom has been to the doctor who ran blood tests, gave an antibiotic shot and a steroid shot, and prescribed an antibiotic. The tests came back fine, She took the pills as prescribed. She is sicker than before and now throwing up what she refers to as a little XXXXXXX juice with whatever I have managed to get her to ear.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. She has developed gastritis due to the antibiotics and steroids.

2. The little XXXXXXX juice is most likely to be water-brash, acid or bile reflux and sometimes allergy.

3. She should have anti reflux medication, anti -allergic medication and a Gastro-enterologist's opinion to rule out bile reflux which is greenish yellow. Antacids may be used for a short duration. Anti emetics may be used to settle the retching and vomiting. All these medications should be under strict medical supervision.

4. An abdominal Ultrasound and endoscopy may be may be advised by your doctor along with routine blood tests including liver and renal function tests.

5. Kindly let me know the results of her tests. This will help in suggesting further treatment.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.