Done blood test. Is everything alright and do I need to go for more tests?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My blood test sys following:- (Male)
1. Neutrphils = 36% , 2. Lymphocytes = 54% , 3. Monocytes= 08%, 4.Eosinophils=02% , 5.basophils=00 %
6. Haemoglobin(Hb)= 15 g/dL , ESR = 18 mm 1st Hour , CRP = 0.32 mg/dL .
Kindly tell me if everything is alright or I need to go for more test.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 2 hours later
Hi there.

Do you have any pain in any joints of your body ?

Any fever, cough, chest pain, shortness of breath ?

Have you lost weight recently ?

Do you have any health problems now besides the pain on the sole of your left foot ?

It would be best to relate your blood test parameters with the Laboratory normal values because different Laboratories use different machines to do these tests and hence mild differences in the values.

According to general standards in most laboratories, your Neutrophil count is bit low, your Lymphocyte count is bit high. This could signify possibility of infection by viral or fungal agents. Sometimes some autoimmune disorders can also cause similar picture.

Other tests are within normal range. If you have any joint pains, fatigue, fever, there is possibility that the change in your laboratory test could be because of certain infections or connective tissue disorders.

Kindly do answer my queries so that I will be in a better position to help you find out if there is any problem.

Have a balanced diet. Drink plenty of water. Exercise daily. Avoid junk food, smoking, alcohol. Get 6-8 hours of sleep daily. Do Yoga for stress relief.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing good health.

Follow-up: Done blood test. Is everything alright and do I need to go for more tests? 12 hours later
Rest every thing is fine but of late I do experience mild pain just on top of rib cage adjacent to my left shoulder and sometimes I feel it at center of my chest. My blood cholestrol is high as per following test report:-
Cgolestrol-Total= 203 mg/dL , Cholestral-HDL, Direct= 40.6 mg/dL , LDL,Direct=146.2 mg/dL ,tiglycerides-Serum=89 mg/dL , noN-HDL Cholestrol=162.4 mg/dL , Uric acid= 606 mg/dL. Also Glucose Plasma-Random= 86 mg/dL.
Now tell me ,whats your opinion on these result.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 20 minutes later
Your Cholesterol level is mildly high. It should by less than 100mg/dL optimally.

Your LDL or bad cholesterol level is borderline high. It is best for LDL to remain less than 100mg/dL.

Your HDL or good cholesterol level is borderline low which is not good. It should be 60mg/dL and above for good health and less chance of heart attack.

Your serum triglycerides appear normal in values.

Your Uric acid level is very high. Normal should be 3-7mg/dL.

Your plasma glucose level is normal.

According to this report it appears you have chance of getting heart disease because of the high LDL cholesterol, total cholesterol and low HDL cholesterol levels. Also since you have extremely high value for Uric acid, it is possible you are suffering from Gout or you have high risk of getting Gout. Gout is severe pain of the big toe due to high levels of Uric acid in the joint of big toe.

You have to make diet modification and lifestyle changes. Most of these problems is because of un-healthy lifestyle.

Avoid junk food, colas, smoking and alcohol and most of these can raise the Uric acid level and can cause severe joint pain as in Gout. Eat balanced diet with plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Drink plenty of water. Do daily brisk walking exercise for 40 minutes a day to keep your health good and weight in check. All these measure will also reduce your cholesterol. Eat mackerel or salmon fish, food XXXXXXX in Omega 3 fatty acids to raise the good cholesterol or HDL cholesterol to reduce chance of heart disease.

It would be best to consult your Doctor as certain drugs like Allopurinol or Colchicine may be needed to reduce your high uric acid levels as well.

I hope I have answered your query.

Follow-up: Done blood test. Is everything alright and do I need to go for more tests? 3 hours later
First of all, Thank you Doctor for your so elobrate description and clarity in words. I am fully aware that I need to improve my good Cholestrol i.e HDL level. Secondly I am very sorry that I had made a typing mistake while entering my Uric acid level which = 6.6 mg/dL and not 606 mg. I will try to find out how to increase my HDL level by eating what or can you tell me any suppliment to increase the level of good HDL.
Regards......& Thanks once again.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 18 minutes later
Hi there.

In that case your Uric acid also is normal. Nothing to worry here.

You need to eat plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Do daily brisk walking exercise to reduce cholesterol as well.

This will help to remove the bad cholesterol. You can take Fish oil supplements like Cod liver capsule which is known to increase HDL and lower LDL. Take one capsule of fish oil supplement daily.

I hope I have answered your query.

Wishing good health.