Done blood test. Interpretation of fasting serum insulin.

my blood report is showing serum insuline (fasting) is 50.84%
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 49 minutes later

A fasting insulin level above 60pmol/L is high and indicates insulin resistance. If you are overweight (especially fat around the tummy) and your triglycerides and blood pressure is also high, you may have what is called metabolic syndrome.

If your blood glucose is normal, you should consider yourself a pre-diabetic and go on a low glycaemic diet (no sugar, sweets, white rice, maida products, less potatoes, less bananas, mangoes, grapes, sitaphal and chickoos) less ghee, butter, cheese, salt.

Also reduce weight if overweight and do any intensive exercise --walking, games, swimming, gym, ---for an hour a day. You can also consult your doctor if he wants to put you on metformin to prevent diabetes if your blood sugar is now normal.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.