Done blood test. Elevated GGT and ALT. Will readings become normal if I reduce alcohol consumption?

Question
Hi there. I got my blood test back today. My GGT reading is 91 and ALT is 69 after fasting . I have bee consuming more alcohol than last time I had normal readings (November11). If I reduce alcohol consumption will my readings return to normal?
Posted Wed, 5 Sep 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Mihail Iepure 1 hour later
Thank you for posting your query,
From your report I can see mild elevation of GGT ( normal range 8-78 U/L ) and ALT ( normal range ( 7-56 U/L ) , but if another liver enzymes, bilirubin , serum albumin in normal range , then yes, definitely once you will reduce or stop alcohol intake these enzymes will return to normal levels. In such way you can prevent complications due to chronicle consumption of alcohol.
Hope this helps, if you have additional queries, don’t hesitate to ask,

Best Regards,      

Dr.Mihail

Follow-up: Done blood test. Elevated GGT and ALT. Will readings become normal if I reduce alcohol consumption? 8 minutes later
I should also have mentioned I have Gilbert's disease so bilirubin is always high. In Australia, the GGT is twice the highest in the normal range, hence my concern.

Is there anything i can do to reduce these levels quickly? Really appreciate your help.

Thank you for writing back,
Yes , laboratory values differ from one lab to another ( we use as a reference University of Minnesota lab values ). Gilbert’s syndrome is metabolic lifelong disorder, mostly asymptomatic that shows moderate elevation of unconjugated bilirubin and in generally hasn’t correlation with acute elevation of liver enzymes. Practically, first step is restriction of alcohol intake, equilibrated diet, reach in minerals and additionally vitamins supplements as an anti-oxidants : Vit A,E, Folate, Thiamine. If your alcohol level still high in the blood then will be useful detoxification with intravenous fluids, diuretics , etc.. but all these measures can be done by Hepatologist in medical facility. All above mentioned advices will decrease elevated levels of liver enzymes and will restore normal liver function.

Best Regards,      

Dr.Mihail