Done blood profile. High GGT values. Could drinking wine during dinner elevate GGT values?

I recently had a life insurance blood profile and for the first time ever my numbers were a little high on some values. My GGT was 173, SGPT(ALT) 45, SGOT(AST) 48, Bilirubin .72, Total Cholesterol 177, HDL 78.10. I share a bottle of wine with my wife most nights with dinner. Could this elevate my GGT? How long will I have to give up the wine to return to normal?
Posted Thu, 27 Sep 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 37 minutes later
Recovery of liver after quitting alcohol depends upon the amount of alcohol and time frame since  you are drinking.It also depends upon whether the liver has progressed to cirrhosis or not.
The liver is a very resilient and marvelous organ and tends to heal completely unless completely damaged.
However a rough estimate can be given and this is approximately 4 to 6 months,if there is no cirrhosis.
Your GGTP levels and liver should be normal after this period.

I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Follow-up: Done blood profile. High GGT values. Could drinking wine during dinner elevate GGT values? 1 hour later
All other tests resulted in normal values. I have never been an alcoholic and limit my consumption to 1/2 a 750ml bottle of wine 4 or 5 nights a week with dinner. My wife and I have been enjoying this for approximately 4 years. If there is no liver damage, does it still take 4 or 5 months to clean out all residual affects from the wine?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 7 hours later
You have to give time to liver to heal properly.
It is not that,the moment you get your enzymes level normal,you start drinking again.
The enzymes levels tend to become normal much before the actual proper healing of liver cells.
After all you don't want a situation where you start drinking again,the moment your enzyme levels are normal,and find that they have risen faster again.
There is no point to drink and get your liver inflamed again and again.
Liver of people behave differently with same amount of alcohol.
Some people may get liver injury with small amount of alcohol while others may be able to consume larger amount of alcohol with no liver inflammation.