Done blood and saliva test. Platelets, neutrophils and estrone are red flagged. Reason?

HI Dr: Just got the results from a comprehensive blood & saliva test (HealthCheck USA), showing most everything in the normal range except for 3 items that were red flagged: Platelets (136), Neutrophils (39) and Estrone (79). Are these serious? XXXXXXX
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 19 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Normal platelet count is between 150K to 450K. Yours is below the normal range. Low count occurs in blood disorders, congenital conditions, infections.

Neutrophils should lie between 1.5K to 8K. Again below normal. Counts decrease during conditions like infections, bone marrow conditions etc. Count below 500 is deemed severe.

Estrone 8-40 is normal. And yours is on the high.

There are situations like obesity, polycystic ovarian disease, endometriosis for the rise in estrone levels. You would need an examination or a scan or both. Considering the drop of counts for platelets and neutrophils, I would advise you to get checked up to see why this has happened. Also your medical history regarding mentruation and abdomen would help. Another concern of careful medical attention for you now, is due to the fact that cancer has been running in your family. Though not any definite sign of cancer with this blood and saliva test, a detailed examination with the doctor should help.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.