Ask a Urologist   »  

Done abdominal hysterectomy. Difficulty urinating. Wearing catheter. Success rate of ureteral stent replacement?

General Surgeon
Yes, I had an abdominal hysterectomy 3/4, trouble urinating post op after foley catheter came out, so nurses did in & out- 325cc obtained, 2nd day post op, urinating small amounts of urine,1st noc @ home up q30" urinating because my fett had 2 pedal edema & I look like a puff fish, lost 12 lbs of water weight in 5 days. 11 th post op day, urine gushing out my vagina, saw my surgeon's partner in office, Bladder US showed- urinary retention, had to wait 2 hours for a foley cat theater to arrive @ office, it was placed, when I stood up , I still had urine coming, dr. Did speculum exam?vesicco-vaginal fistula. I went to urologist cystoscope in office, he says, vesicc-vaginal fistula, wear a catheter for 10 days & hope it will heal. I went to a urologist this past Tues. @ hospital where I work,cystoscopy in office & XXXXXXX tests to properly dx. Ureteral- vaginal fistula, cystoscopy done that afternoon with ureteral stent placement. What is the success rates with these stents to have these areas seal where the distal ureter was nicked? Do U consider a malpractice case?
Posted Thu, 11 Apr 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 1 hour later
I am sorry for what has happened to you after surgery.
Injury to the ureter and urinary bladder are described complications after hysterectomy.
If it is ureterovaginal fistula,then placement of stent will stop diversion of urine to the vagina.
But,it will take some time to heal.
The stent hat to be passed through the injured site in ureter.Then urine will flow into bladder through the stent.
I do not suspect malpractice here.
If you can attach the doctor's reports and procedure done,I will clarify further.
Wish you good health