Done Rheumatoid Factor test. What does it indicate?

I was recently advised by a doctor for a Rheumatoid Factor test and the result by NEPHELOMETRY method is 25 IU/ml whereas advised is less than 15.9 in adults.

What may be the reason for the same and any remedial methods?

I am a XXXXXXX 29 years, married.
Posted Mon, 4 Nov 2013 in Lupus
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Well looking into the problem I would like to tell you that this means your rheumatoid factor is positive which is an indicator and marker test for rheumatoid arthritis .

This can be marker for early onset of rheumatoid arthritis if you are suffering small joint pain in hands and swelling . There are no remedial methods of this disease . One thing I would advise you is to get a Anti CCP test done which is most specific for rheumatoid arthritis , ESR , CRP done to look for any inflammation in the body .

If any of these tests is positive likelihood for rheumatoid arthritis is increased and if these are negative then the chances of Rheumatoid will decrease as sometimes RF is false positive also .

Dr. Shruti