Done Nissen fundoplication surgery. Bruising on stomach, black color. Have depression. Normal?

General Surgeon
I had Nissens fundolopian surgery two weeks ago to repair a hiatus hernia and lengthen my esophagus. I also have Barrats syndrome. I still have a lot of dark bruising on my tummy close to the incision sites. But what concerns me today is that this morning I woke up with a very large bruise on the right side just below my belly button. This was not there yesterday and is quite black in color. Is this normal?

I have also been experiencing terrible depression the last week something I am not used to as I am generally a happy person.

Can you help please
Posted Sat, 6 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 41 minutes later
As per your query,Nissen fundoplication has been done to you by Laparoscopic method(Key hole method).
Through small incisions,procedure will be done.One large incision will be near belly button.
Dark bruising near incision sites is due to mild collection of blood collected beneath the skin.Large bruise just below belly button is also due to collection of serous fluid and some blood.As it is collected blood and is seen after 2 weeks,it is dark in colour.It will subside spontaneously in course of time.
If it does not subside,the fluid can be drained by small incision over the collection.
Please take anti inflammatory drug along with Rabeprazole tablet.
Some people get depressed after any surgery.I routinely put them on Anti depressant tablet.Please take anti depressant tablet for few days.It gets subsided.
Nothing to worry.
If you have any doubts,i will clarify further.
Wish you good health and speedy recovery