Done Mir for middle back pain, worsening pain, burning affecting shoulders and neck, headache

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I had a Mir 2 years ago because of middle back pain specialist said probable mechanical .
Back pain is getting worse. burning pain in mid back which effects shoulders , back of neck and headaches.
Report says small syrinx at t6/t7 could this be causing the chronic pain.
Posted Tue, 2 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
I have seen the report attached to this query. The small syrinx in the spinal cord you have is not producing any compression of the nerve roots or any surrounding structures. So, it is not likely to cause the acute back pain that you are having.
According to the clinical history provided the stiffness and pain could be part of a mechanical back pain complex of symptoms. This mechanical back pain is caused due to bad posture at work, long work-hours in particular position, lack of proper sleep or healthy diet as well.

I suggest you to try back strengthening exercises by extension of the back muscles which can be taught by your Orthopedician or Physiotherapist. This will help to relieve the possible muscle spasm which causes the tightness.
You also need to get some pain killers and/or muscle relaxants prescribed which should give you relief. Physiotherapy may also be advised if necessary. I would suggest you to try swimming as this will help most in back conditions.
Eat a diet XXXXXXX in fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables, nuts, milk, eggs, pulses and cereals. Drink 1-2 litres of water daily. Do brisk walking exercise for 40 minutes daily. Get 6-8 hours of refreshing sleep daily.

Kindly follow up with me about your progress.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Done Mir for middle back pain, worsening pain, burning affecting shoulders and neck, headache 1 hour later
This is x XXXXXXX report o7/2010

There is minor loss of alignment on the ap radiograph . There is kyphosis and there are significant end plate changes through the lower thoracic region with lipping and wedging as shown . These features may be associated with previous scheuermann's disease . The paravertedral lines are not displaced.

Could the pain be caused from Scheuermann's disease.
regards AAAA

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 13 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Scheuermann's disease is adult kyphosis. It can cause the muscle strain and positional change leading to a muscular pain. Using a brace and physical therapy and of posture is most helpful in relieving the pain.
You can get the brace fitted from your orthopedician.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Follow-up: Done Mir for middle back pain, worsening pain, burning affecting shoulders and neck, headache 5 hours later
Thank you just one more question .
If I try to keep posture straight I get more pain in lower back where I have another problem, would wearing a brace make it worse.
YOUR OPINION OF X-RAY WOULD BE HELPFUL .

X-RAY LUMBOSACRAL SPINE AND LEFT HIP
FINDINGS
SCHMORL NODULE FORMATION AT L1/2 WITH DISC SPACE NARROWING AND SLIGHT ENDPLATE IRREGULARITY . DISC SPACE NARROWING AT L5/S1.MINOR VERTEBRAL BODY OSTEOPHYTIC LIPPING . BILATERAL SPONDYLOLYSIS OF THE ITERARTICULAR PROCESSES OF L5 . OA CHANGE AT L4/5 AND L5/SI. THE LEFT HIP IS UNREMARKABLE . VASCULAR CALCIFICATION . THE SI JOINTS ARE NORMAL.
COMMENT; DISC SPACE NARROWING AND DEGENERATIVE CHANGE AT L5/S1 BILATERAL SPONDYLOLSIS OF THE INTERARTICULAR PROCESSES OF L5

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Hello.
Wearing a brace will be helpful in view of your X-ray report.
Your X-ray is suggestive of age related degenerative changes in the spine and narrowing of disc space at L5-S1 vertebrae. This could be the main reason of your low back pain.
The degenerative changes that you have are mild and there is no MRI scan will help in detecting any nerve compression better.
Taking muscle relaxants and doing a regular physiotherapy after the acute pain subsides will help in decreasing the progression of such changes.
Regards.

Follow-up: Done Mir for middle back pain, worsening pain, burning affecting shoulders and neck, headache 11 days later
Hello again and thanks
I went and had a ct scan of lumbar and thoracic spine and would appreciate your opinion of uploaded report .
Was wondering if I should see a specialist and what I can do to minimize this condition getting worse.

Hello.
Your Ct scan findings are suggestive of a disc degenerative disease at the level of L5-S1 with a nerve root compression. You need to consult an orthopedician to get yourself prescribed a combination of pain killer and a muscle relaxant most appropriate for you. Taking methylcobalamin supplements will help in reducing the nerve compression symptoms.
Since it is a progressive degenerative disease, you need to have a regular physical therapy under the guidance of a proficient physical therapist to reduce the progression of your problem.
Regards.