Done MRI scan. What does the result says?

Nov 2013

I had a MRI and everything was normal except - to quote" there is mild-to-moderate cortical atrophy, especially of both frontal lobes, of uncertain clinical significance in a patient of 43 years". What does that mean?
Posted Thu, 7 Nov 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
My reply is below.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I would like to reassure you that the MRI brain findings do not suggest any serious neurological disease.

Atrophy refers to decreased brain volume or shrinkage of brain. This is a normal process that begins at age 40 and continues as one grows older.

Also, atrophy is more common in people with dementia including Alzheimer's disease.

However, it does not mean that you have dementia or you would dementia later on, as your MRI shows atrophy. This is because many normal people can have mild to moderate atrophy on MRI, who do not have dementia and do not get dementia later on in life.

Also, there is no correlation between size of brain and memory functions. So, a person with relatively small brain size can have very good memory.

So, there is no need to worry about your MRI findings, as long as there are no problems with your memory.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir XXXXXXX MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Follow-up: Done MRI scan. What does the result says? 15 minutes later
Thank you as my memory is fine and you have relaxed my anxiety. Another note on the MRI was that "the pituitary gland is normal in size for the patient's age, with empty sella incidentally noted" Does this mean my pituitary gland is flattened and should I worry?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You should not worry about empty sella

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

Empty sella is also a normal finding, and it does not mean that your pituitary gland is flattened. In some people, there could be raised intracranial pressure (pressure in the brain fluid), which could be associated with empty sella. In your case, there is no significance, and it is an incidental finding, which radiologist has noted on the MRI.

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)