Done MRI, cervical scan, small vessel ischemic change, disc prolapse, disc bulge

My mri scan results are: / conclusion,a few tiny foci of high signal within the white matter may be normal finding, even in a patient of this age,total number of lesions however in this patient is slightly exessive & therefore warrants further investigations.Distribution of these lesions is more likely to indicate small vessel ischaemic change"
Also cervical scan, conclusion, leftsided soft tissue c6/7 disc prolapse potentially compressing the left c7 nerve root.
C4/5 small broard based central lateral&rightside disc bulge .c5/6 tiny central disc bulge.
This was a private mri scan quicker than the nhs... Still waiting to see my neurologist, also urgent referrel to a neuro surgeon.
Would be grateful of your help. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX ages 43
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Your MRI scan results are mainly suggestive of degenerative changes in cervical spine causing nerve compression. The multiple foci in brain are age related ischaemic changes.
In cervical spine changes, mostly the symptomatic treatment is done. Most cases responds to anti-inflammatory drugs and cervical collars.
It is important to correct any posture imbalances that you may have, whether in a sitting posture or in a standing posture. It is also very important to make sure that the pillow you use under your head is the correct size and thickness for your body.

Avoid stretching of shoulders, lifting any heavy weights and add diets XXXXXXX in calcium, vitamins especially vitamin B 12 and vitamin D to daily routine. More severe cases may need steroid injections or surgical involvement. But this should be kept as last resort.

Physiotherapy and exercises also help to increase mobility in your cervical spine. This involves doing flexion, extension, lateral flexion and rotation exercises and should be done under a physiotherapist’s guidance.

Also get your vitamin D levels estimated and if they are less, then you may need vitamin D supplement sachets.
You may get the initial physical examination, relevant tests and treatment done under care of 'Neurologist'
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.
Follow-up: Done MRI, cervical scan, small vessel ischemic change, disc prolapse, disc bulge 9 hours later
How would the ischaemic changes be treated,and what other investigations
Would be carried out?
i have injections for my pernious anaemia which i forgot to mention.
Thankyou, Dr Tayal XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Thanks for writing again.

The ischaemic changes are mostly irreversible. Some Nootropic agents can help you but you need to get them prescribed from your neurologist.

Any further investigations depend on your symptoms.

You must rule out Diabetes also.

You can continue with the injections for pernicious anemia. These will help your symptoms.

I hope, this answers your query.

Wishing you an early recovery.