Done D&C, urine test and ultrasound show pus cells, epithelial cells, RBC and kidney stone. Do I require operation?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2013
Jan 2013

Question
Hello Sir
I had D&C done on 9 th Of June'2012 with 2 months and 15 days of pregnancy. Now after undergoing urine test and ultrasound after 2 months and 25 days of D&C it was found that I have full field /Hpf pus cells, 4-6/Hpf epithelial cells and 1-2/Hpf rbcs in my urine test along with right side kidney stone of 4.5 mm.Is is harmful and does it require operation????
Posted Fri, 21 Sep 2012 in Kidney Conditions

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 11 minutes later
Hi AAAA
Thanks for postingyour query.
Presence of > 3 pus cells/ HPF in a female is considered as urinary tract infection.
As such there is no correlation between D&C and UTI.
Presence of renal stones may cause obstrution with proliferation of bacteria in collected urine.
Size of renal stones is small and any stone <5-6mm may pass in urine spontaneously after drinking plenty of water.
Have you undergone renal function test like serum creatinine and blood urea?
What was their reports?
As such 4.5 mm sized renal stones is not harmful but you should consult with physician/ urologist for urinary tract infection.
You should go for urine culture and sensitivity and choose the appropriate antibiotic which is also safe for pregnancy.
You should alsotake urine alkalizer for preventing increase in size of stones.
Alkalizer by inhibiting the growth of bacteria may prevent size incement of stone.
Put your views if any.
Best regards,
Dr.Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: Done D&C, urine test and ultrasound show pus cells, epithelial cells, RBC and kidney stone. Do I require operation? 2 minutes later
No not yet doctor has not advised me to go for renal function test like serum creatinine and blood urea but sometimes I have fever as well
What precaution should I take to avoid growth of Kidney Stones and what about the range of epithelial cells and rbc's in urine.

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 14 minutes later
Hi AAAAA
You should go for renal function test. Although your urine report and USG suggest presence of stone and UTI but what happens sometime that presence of pus cells and RBC in urine may due to glomerulonephritis at kidney level.
You should avoid tomatoes, spinach, citrus fruits, brinjal, non veg.
Take plenty of water.
< 3 pus cel/ HPF for a female is considered as normal.
1-2 RBC may be presentbut more than this is abnormal.
Take care,
Dr.Mayank

Follow-up: Done D&C, urine test and ultrasound show pus cells, epithelial cells, RBC and kidney stone. Do I require operation? 24 minutes later
ok wat about epithelial cells
what is glomerulonephritis at kidney level.
egg would be considered in nonveg

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
Epithelial cells are normal cells which are shed off from urinary tract.
Glomerulonephritis is inflammation of glomeruli (microscopic unit of kidney) which sequentially involve kidney and derange renal function test.
Egg is considered as vegetarian.
Sincerely,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava