Done Cervical spine MRI to see the cervical spondylosis changes. Syrinx present.. Need image analysis of the report

Neurologist
Question
I have by chance came to know that a very small syrinx is present at c4 /c5 level, when i have gone for cervical spine mri to see the cervical spondylosis changes by the orthpaedic. Until that time i have never experienced any symptoms .Please see the enclosed images and advise me Sir.
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 29 minutes later

From the MRI (Magnetic Resonant Imaging) images, based on the morphology it looks to me more like a cyst rather than a syrinx.
However it is difficult at times to differentiate based on the finding on the plain scan. Rarely in cervical spondylosis, can flexion and extension injuries cause ischemia cord changes which can mimic like a cyst or a syrinx.

So I personally feel at this point the changes seen on the MRI are only incidental findings and needs no treatment. A follow up scan with contrast will be required only if you experience new symptoms down the line.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Sincerely,

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Neurologist & Epileptologist

Follow-up: Done Cervical spine MRI to see the cervical spondylosis changes. Syrinx present.. Need image analysis of the report 19 hours later
Dear Doctor,
I profoundly thank you for your kind reply.

I would like to know whether I can go for my usual morning walk of 4 km and can i resume my snooker game?

Another one : is there any medicine to dissolve the cyst?
kindly advise

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 3 hours later
Hello and Thanks for the query.

I personally feel there should is no restriction for your morning walk and snooker game. As you are prone for cervical spondylosis, not lifting heavy weights, wearing a cervical soft collar and regular neck and shoulder strengthening exercises would be of benefit.

Sincerely,

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Neurologist & Epileptologist

Follow-up: Done Cervical spine MRI to see the cervical spondylosis changes. Syrinx present.. Need image analysis of the report 26 hours later
Dear Doctor,
I thank you for your prompt query. Thank you. I shall follow your advice

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 20 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX,

Thank you for the positive feedback and You are welcome.

If you like my answers and wish me to answer in future, bring it to my attention, “Dr. Shivakumar R"

Take care, Bye.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Neurologist & Epileptologist