Done CT scan, colonoscopy. Can sigmoid diverticulitis be cured with medication? Diet and precautions?

Gastroenterologist
Question
This is a followup question to Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

DR I AM SENDING MY CT SCAN REPORT AND ALSO COLONSCOPY REPORTS

I would like to ask the following questions

1.whether this sigmoid divertuclosis can be cured with medicines without going for surgery.

2.what kind of diet will help to me prevent the disease.

3.since i am travelling executive what kind precaution i have to take to prevent further attacks.

4.whether planned advance surgery will help,incase if surgery can't be avoided later.and what kind of surgery suggested laproscopic/open
5.Regular abdomin bloating occurs with no pain only discomfort. is there any remedy for that.

Doctor please suggest.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 24 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Diverticulae are structural problem and they cannot be reversed with medicines. Diverticulitis is inflammation associated with diverticulae and the inflammation can be reversed with medicines, When diverticulitis keeps recurring or there is recurrent bleed secondary to diverticulitis surgery is indicated. Whether the surgery would be open or laproscopic should be decided by the surgeon and depends on the state of colon and the comfort level of the surgeon. Abdominal bloating is because of the altered colonic motility and reduced compliance with or without associated bacterial overgrowth. Prokinetics, high fibre diet and probably topical antibiotics help

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Dr XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Done CT scan, colonoscopy. Can sigmoid diverticulitis be cured with medication? Diet and precautions? 41 hours later
I WOULD LIKE TO ASK THE FOLLOWING FOLLOWUP QUESTIONS DOCTOR

1.WHAT IS YOUR OPINION BASED ON MY COLONSCOPE/CT REPORTS ABOUT THE SEVERITY OF DIVERTICULAE

2.I AM SOMETIMES HAVING ONLY ABDOMEN PAIN AND DISCOMFORT, NO BLEEDING ,AND STOOLS ARE NORMAL, WILL ANTIBIOTICS ALONE WILL BE SUFFICIENT TO RELIEVE THE PAIN.

PLEASE HELP ME

Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 29 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing back.

From the CT & colonoscopy reports it appears that you have only diverticulosis and not diverticulitis.

High fiber diet and some anti spasmodic like mebavarine may help you and as of now there is no need of surgery.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Dr. XXXXXXX