Doing exercise to reduce water retention on face. Feeling cheekbones pushed inwards. Reason?

Cosmetic & Plastic Surgeon
Hi for the past year every time after I wash my face in the evening I have done this exercise that is meant to decrease water retention and encourage lymph drainage by placing the palms of my hands under/ on my cheekbone area, putting my elbows on the sink and then pushing my bodyweight on that area for around 10 seconds.

This week I have noticed that it looks and feels like my cheekbones have been pushed inwards and are less prominent, is it possible that I have actually moved the cheekbones?
The only other change is that I felt my jaw crack twice when I was eating.
Posted Thu, 4 Apr 2013 in Beauty
Answered by Dr. Surindher 40 minutes later

Thank you for using WWW.WWWW.WW for your health related query.

Yes the exercise mentioned is to reduce any water retention leading to facial edema.

NO, you have not moved your cheekbones.

You would require a lot of effort and force to physically break the cheek bone to move it back. It could quite be possible that with the prolonged pressure exercise that you have been doing there is now some form of atrophy of the fat and or just the absence of edema which is making the cheek bones appear sunken.

As long as you have not had any injury and if there is no pain, then rest assured your cheek bones are intact.

As for your exercise.. you do not need to exert the whole pressure of your body... just firm gentle pressure is sufficient for lymphatic drainage from the face n cheeks.

The jaw cracking that you are feeling might because of the intense pressure (because of your body weight) being exerted onto your lower jaw and subsequently to the joint.

The pressure might cause problems in the joint and the clicking while you eat is because of the cartilage which might be loose.

I would suggest give the joint a rest... by not chewing anything too hard... not opening your mouth too much.. and avoiding putting pressure on the joint.

If the clicking persists or you develop pain, please see a doctor locally for the same.

Thank you for your query.