Doing exercise for muscle strengthening. Started getting knee pain. Is this normal?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hello Doctor,

I had recently posted a query about strengthening my quadriceps, hamstring and other muscles around knee region so that I can regain old strength and start doing regular stuff like hiking, running etc..

I was advised to exercises like - running on treadmill, lunges, squats, hopping etc..
I had been doing this for almost 10 days and since last week I am having pain in the knee at two locations -
1. Where femur sits on Tibia in knee (If I rub my fingers on this portion I feel pain)
2. Behind my knee at hinge joint where doctor earlier told meniscus tear had happened.

Pain has not subsided after 1 week.
Is it normal during training sessions?
If normal will these things stop happening over period of time?

Please clarify.

Posted Fri, 1 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 17 hours later

It is good to know that you follow the exercises adviced by your surgeon because Proper rehabilitation is a major part of the recovery process from this injury. During your rehab, you may experience some pain in your knee. However, this pain should decrease as your rehab progresses.

A certain amount of pain is inevitable when you recover from a severe injury, especially as you begin your physical therapy. However, your pain should gradually decrease over time. If the pain is too much during exercise, rest for one or two hours. Then resume your exercise with less intensity and for less time or repetitions.Gradually these things stop happening over period of time.

If your pain level does not decrease after these measures and if you develop any other complications, such as fever or headaches, it should be discussed with your surgeon.

I hope this is helpful to you.

Wishing you speedy recovery...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.