Dog's head hit on neck on side of adam's apple, sore & swollen, hurts while swallowing. Simple bruise?

My dog's head hit me right on the neck on the side of the adam's XXXXXXX and now my now the adam''s XXXXXXX is swollen and sore. Also, it hurts when I swallow on the injured side. I talk and breath fine. Is this just a simple bruise that can be treated with asprin and ice? Or should I consult with a doctor?

Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Since there is no problem in taking breath and speaking, it seems that you have suffered a hematoma after the injury in your neck.
To have a symptomatic relief, you can do a cold compress, have pain killers like ibuprofen and do not massage or apply anything locally on the area.
However it is important to rule out the formation of a hematoma in the muscle or any hair line fracture. For this it is important to get an x-ray and a MRI scan of the area done. X-rays are very sensitive for picking up any fracture and MRI is one of the best tests for ruling out and identifying soft tissue injuries in the area of injury.

If the pain or the size of swelling increases or there is any fever then you need to consult your physician for proper antibiotics systemically.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.