Dog lick on leg, no cuts on leg, washed with shave lotion, rabies vaccine required ?

a dog licked my 20 year old daughter's leg at a temple 10 days back but there are no cuts on her leg, she washed with shave lotion after reaching home. But I want to get ger vaccinated for anti rabbies vaccine now. is it ok to do that and is it safe to get vaccination without exposure? Please advise.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Vaccinations
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 24 minutes later

Thanks for query.

Whatever the first aid of washing is done was most important and you did it.

Normally lick on unbroken skin, as in her case, carries no risk of rabies transmission. You may not opt for vaccine and is equally fine. If you decided to you can go ahead and give her vaccine. Complete the full course of preexposure prophylaxis.

Rabies is such a deadly disease that some times we doctors also like to over treat and advise vaccine,is one wants be very safe.

In fact this vaccine taken once will protect her in case of future bites also.In future she will need fewer injections. Again she will not need the rabies immunoglobulin also which a special injection needed in case of severe bites.

I hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up.