Dog bite,vaccination,rabies,rabipur,no HRIG

Hi I came to India last month and my parents pet dog bit me on 09 jul 2011 so the hospital gave me rabipur I took 4 dosage already but was not offered HRIG so am I still safe.
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Vaccinations
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 12 minutes later

You said it was your parents' pet dog. So you must be knowing the vaccination status of the dog. Also the dog will be available with you for observation.

The bite occurred on 9th july. Almost fifteen days have passed and I presume the dog and you, both are healthy.

So, there is no risk of any acute illness now.

So, any immunoglobulins are not needed.

The HRIG injections are recommended in a dog of unknown origin and when the dog is not available for observation.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Dog bite,vaccination,rabies,rabipur,no HRIG 4 hours later
Hi the dog is ok but I got sick 2 days ago and cough cold and fever. But I'm feeling little better now. May be Change of weather or something because I came from
USA to india. The dog is vaccinated since 2004 but when last year dog was given rabvac 3 and was due on feb 2011 and was late 5 months on rabies vaccination. So I was concerned.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

Cough and cold are incidental and are not likely to be associated with dog bite.

Late booster doses do not affect much as long as the booster is given.

You need not worry now.

Hope my answer is helpful.

Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.