Dog bite on finger with broken bone, sore and tender. Had stitches. What treatment should be done for faster recovery?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I got bit by my dog it partially amputeded my finger and also broke the bone,what treatment should I do at home.After er visit and 4 stitches.Follow up at dr was told to wash it off and put a bandade on it.But it is very sore and tender and I am afraid I'll bump it.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 hours later
Since you have already got the area stitched up, now you need a good antibiotic cover along with pain killers and anti inflammatory drugs to take care of the pain you are having. You also need to have shots to prevent rabies and typhoid.
You can get the appropriate treatment prescribed from your treating physician.
At home, you need to keep your hand in an arm sling, avoid working with the injured hand. Keeping the hand elevated will prevent any swelling to develop.
Apply bacitracin or neosporin or soframycin ointment or antibiotic powder over the area an cover it with a thin cotton cloth and preferably bandage it to keep the area covered to prevent it from further infections.
The pain will subside gradually with the help of adequate pain killers in 4-5 days.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.