Dog bite category III, taken TT and Rabipur. Developed redness, no swelling or fever, Will redness disappear later?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My 70 years old father was bitten by a street dog last some 24 hours back on back of thigh. I took him to hospital after 2 hrs (once we saw the blood XXXXXXX no bleeding), diagnosed as dog bite category III. He was given two shots - TT and Rabipur (spelling not clear). Today he developed 1.5 inch redness around the red XXXXXXX no swelling, no fever, only redness. Doctor has recommended 4 more shots (Rabipur) on 3rd, 7th, 14th and 28th day. Will redness go with time with this treatment? We are keeping the wound clean, no external medication was suggested
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 17 minutes later

Rabipur shots have been prescribed to prevent the development of rabies. You must complete the anti Rabies vaccination for it to be effective.

Development of redness at the site of bite can be due to hematoma - a collection of blood due to cold compress will prevent further bleeding.

Go regularly for wound check and dressing to prevent wound infection.

Oral antibiotics may be needed in case he develops fever or chills.

Do not massage the area or put any local ointment as there is no open bleeding wound. You can self monitor the wound for any raised temperature, spread of redness and pain in which case you need to consult his physician.

I hope this answers your query effectively.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.