Dog bit thumb while feeding. Having small dot like wound. Help?

General Surgeon
hello sir,while i was feeding a dog it was hungry i guess so while feeding it suudenly bit my left thumb finger only a small dot like wound it became after some pressing of finger a little blood came out ...i washed my hand and cleaned by 'dettol' there any risk by 22 years old and healthy boy..please help me sir am very feared..thank u..
Posted Sat, 9 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the query.

If it was your dog and you are certain about its rabies vaccination, there is no serious risk about the bite. However if it is not yours dog, and you do not know anything about its vaccination, you should get rabies vaccination.
Such dog should be under observation for 15 days. If the dog will survive 15 days it means it was not infected.
Vaccination should be done in 1st, 3rd, 7th, 14th and 21 st day after a bite.

The other thing is a wound itself. Even if a dog is healthy, it has vary bad bacteria in the saliva. This bacteria sometimes cause soft tissues inflammation.
If the wound does not look bad, there is no thumb swelling, pain, tenderness, just have it under the observation and in case of mentioned symptoms, you should visit a doctor, have swab test and antibiotic prescribed.

So in conclusion:
1. If the dog is yours or you know the dog:
- no rabies vaccination necessary
- wound should be under observation
- in case of wound swelling, pain and redness - you should go to the doctor
2. You do not know the dog:
- dog should be under 15 days observation
- you should get rabies vaccination
- wound should be under observation (as above)

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.