Dog bit my hand. Should I take anti rabies injection. What should I do?

General Surgeon
My pet dog bit my hand while playing with him... Should I take anti rabies injection.. The bite wound is not deep am scared .. What should I do now
Posted Fri, 2 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 39 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

It all depends if the dog has been vaccinated for rabies in the last year. If yes, no need to take anti rabies vaccination. If your dog were not vaccinated and the is a risk of your dog rabies infection, vaccination is necessary.
Rabies vaccination needs to be taken in 1,3,7,14 and 21 (or 28) days from being bitten.

If there is a suspicion that the dog may be infected, 15 days observation of the dog is necessary. It after 15 days there will be no symptoms of rabies at your dog, you may assume that it is free from rabies.

Another important thing is a wound infection. You need to know that in dogs mouth there is a of bacteria. That is why some dog bite wounds can heal really bad. You should rinse the wound with hydrated water. If during few days it will get red and swollen, you need to visit a surgeon and get antibiotics.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.