Dog accidentally bite my eye. Have pain in eyelid. What should I do?

My young puppy accidentally bite my eye last night. There is no visable swelling but my eye feels like there is a hair in it or it is scratched. The pain is mostly in the upper eyelid. I have put some otc drops in it but it does not help much. I have some gentimiacin for another eye problem long ago would it be wise to use this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 25 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 2 hours later

Thank you for the query.

Foreign body sensation is very common after such episodes. However the extent of injury to various structures of the eye can be known by a clinical evaluation of your eyes. Further, you have not mentioned if there is any redness, pain, any thick secretion, etc., in your injured eye.
You need evaluation by a local ophthalmologist.

If only eye lid is injured then you will have the best recovery and within days. Over the counter analgesics and topical antibiotic on the injured area can suffice.But if other areas are affected, you will need other forms of treatment - the main objective is to see if other structures are injured or not.

Therefore I strongly advise you to go to a local ophthalmologist and get examined. Please don’t use any medicine into the eye without a proper eye- check up.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you any query

Dr Gopal Krishna Dash
MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology), Post-doctoral fellowship (Epilepsy)
Consultant Neurologist