Does wysolone cause infertility in men ?

My husband is suffering from Protein loss so doctor has prescribed 60mg of Wysolone(steriods) , we are planning for a baby, will this cause any genetic issues in baby? is it safe to have a baby when he is on steriods dosage .. We have heard it causes genetic issues and can result in abnormal babies is it true?
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 56 minutes later

Thanks for your query,

Steroids can cause temporary infertility due to inhibition on formation of the male hormones like testosterone.There may be less chances of conception when on steroids by affecting the sperm count compared to one not on steroids but the quality of the sperms is not affected.

There are no records of birth defects in pregnancies conceived when the father is on steroids and 3 weeks is not a long time too ,with this duration I do not expect low sperm count either.

You can without worry proceed and try to conceive.

Just get the sperm analysis done to rule out low sperm count and do follow calender method ( intercourse in fertile periods ) for good and early out come.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.
Follow-up: Does wysolone cause infertility in men ? 1 hour later
We have got the sperm count analysis done and the count is 160 million /ml, total mortality: 63% and Rapid linear progression is 34%, so is the count sufficient?
and can you please let me know the calender method(intercourse in fertile periods) in detail?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 11 hours later

Thanks for following me up,

The count is more than sufficient , there would be no problems expected with the above count.

Calender method refers to implementing the standard information that a woman's cycle is 28 days in length, therefore she ovulates on Day 14 .Also considering the fact that the life span of Ovum and the sperms are two days, it is advisable to attempt intercourse in the fertile period that is when the ovulation is expected.Its better to have a range in the days like about 3 days before and after the mid cycle 14th day ( as some may not have exactly 28 day cycle ).Hence a approximately considered fertile period in general will be from 11th day to 17th day of the cycle. Intercourse in these days will be more fruitful.

Hope i answered your query completely,

Wish you al the best.