Does vitamin C cause birth defects?

Mar 2016

Does Dong Quai or Vitamin C cause birth defects? I was taking a very high dose and just discovered I was pregnant. I was taking both the HIGH doses of Dong Quai and Vitamin C for about about three days when I was unknowingly pregnant.
Posted Mon, 17 Jun 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Dong quai (a powerful Chinese herbs) & vitamin C supplements are basically used in female fertility treatment. Taking those medicines in high doses for 3 days before confirmation of pregnancy usually do not cause any harmful effect to the growing fetus.

But now that you know you are pregnant, you should discontinued it. You may undergo a Trans Vaginal Sonography (TVS scan) around 6-7 weeks to get detailed picture on fetal well being including fetal pole, heart beat, etc.

Dong quai has strong uterine contraction activity and it has potentials to cause miscarriage when taken continuously. Therefore, it should be avoided at the earliest.

You should take folic acid & vitamin supplements, eat healthy protein XXXXXXX diet, drink more water/ fluid to stay hydrated, avoid mental stress/ emotional upset, avoid long journey/ heavy work, take adequate bed rest, maintain personal hygiene properly, avoid sexual intercourse and do periodic check up with mandatory investigations. You can consult with your obstetrician for proper guidance.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health & successful motherhood.

Dr Soumen.