Does venricular ejection fraction change with age?

Does ejection fraction change with age? (Not considering disease process.)

Also I notice in some states, Illinois and Oklahoma, Zosyn is run over 30 to 60 minutes. In other states, XXXXXXX and Wisconsin, Zosyn is run over 4 hours. What would be considered 'best practice'.

Thank you. I am an ICU registered nurse that does 'travel nursing'.
Posted Wed, 11 Jul 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 3 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

I am a cardiologist and read your question with diligence.

As. I understand from ejection fraction, it is amount of blood ejected from the left ventricle as proportion of total blood which is present there when expressed in percentage. The normal is 50 to 70%. With age there is slight decrease but usually remain within limits it is measured by echocardiography and radio-nuclide study. Now the question is is this ejection fraction you are asking about?

You can clarify in your followup question. Your further question about best practice is not related to it. I can answer when answering your followup query?

Good Luck.

Best Wishes

Dr Anil Grover