Does variation in b12 level cause anxiety and off balance feeling?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
My b12 was 283 can that be the cause of me feeling anxious and off balance.. MRI of brain was unremarkable
Posted Tue, 21 Jan 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Your B12 level is in NORMAL range. Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX The normal vitamin B12 level is between 200 and 900 picograms per milliliter. Less than 200pg/ml indicates its deficiency in the body. Your value is within normal range and so it cannot be a cause of your anxiety and balance issues. The most common cause of Vertigo is a peripheral cause (the inner ear), and is termed as BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo). Medications like Cinnarizine or Betahistine are very useful in controlling the acute attacks of vertigo. Head and neck exercises to prevent the recurrences are of great help in chronic cases, which will be explained by the ENT surgeon. As your MRI of brain has turned out to be normal ( balance issues are also caused by few central nervous system conditions), there is nothing much to worry about your symptomatology, as it is a treatable cause having good prognosis. I personally feel that you have to follow the advice given by the ENT surgeon (You can ignore the neurologists opinion,as the MRI scan of the brain is found to be normal). Hope I have clarified your issue. Happy to help further Regards
Follow-up: Does variation in b12 level cause anxiety and off balance feeling? 6 hours later
My doctor wants to retest in2 weeks and wants to run other bloodwork to see why my body is not absorbing the b12.. Last year I was at 669.. Am neuro said to check my intrinsic factor? Not sure what that is and why?
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Please find your answer below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Nice to hear from you. Intrinsic factor (IF) is a protein substance that is produced in the stomach which favours the absorption of Vitamin B12 from the intestines. So, estimation of the intrinsic factor levels will help in knowing the cause for your fluctuating VitB12 levels. Hope I have addressed your doubt. Good day