Does uterine polyp cause delayed periods?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Can a uterine polyp cause my period to stop?
Posted Sun, 16 Jun 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan Rommstein 1 hour later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your query.

It is more likely that polyps will cause bleeding between menstrual periods and excessively heavy or prolonged menstrual bleeding. In rare cases if polyp is extremely large it can decrease bleeding but this doesnt seems to be in your case.

But if you have missed period which you cant explain, then problem can be in hormonal imbalance. Polyps are also caused by estrogen imbalance so this can be cause for both. I suggest to check hormonal levels and do ovary ultarsound to rule out some ovarian pathology.

Just to say that stopped period isnt indicating anything serious if this lasts for less than 6 months. If this is longer then more detailed gynaecologic work up is necessary.

Wish you good health. If you have any questions I ll be glad to help.