Does urinary tract infection can cause blood in toddlers stool?

Pediatrician
Question
Does urinary tract infection can cause blood in stool in toddlers?
Posted Mon, 15 Oct 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 8 minutes later
Hi XXXXXX

Urinary tract infection does not result in blood appearing in stool. However blood can appear in urine if the infection is severe and involves the urinary bladder extensively.

If there is fresh blood in the stool, then we would need to run some investigations to identify the cause.

If you could provide a more detailed description of your toddler's symptoms, I'd be in a better position to help.

Follow-up: Does urinary tract infection can cause blood in toddlers stool? 19 minutes later
My 19 months old daughter has been diagnosed with UTI and she took antibiotics. Now we dont know if the uti is gone, no urine tests done yet, because we wait for an appointment to be made with a peditrician in hospital and there we'll do all the tests. She seems to be ok now...no fever, she has started to eat, she drinks liquids.

Hi XXXXXX

Thanks for providing the details.

I presume that your daughter has finished with a full course of at least 5 days of antibiotics which has resulted in clinical improvement as described by you. This is a very positive sign of improvement. She will be declared clear of infection when the urine routine examination does not reveal raised pus cells and the urine culture report does not show any growth.

In your initial query you enquired about blood in stool in UTI. Did your daughter pass blood in the stool too as this is not clear from your second query?

Wishing your daughter an early recovery.

RKK

Follow-up: Does urinary tract infection can cause blood in toddlers stool? 1 hour later
Yes, she pasaed some blood in stool this morning. If it's not uti which caused it, then what the cause might be? Because she is not constipated and has no particular signs that she is no well. What is your opinion?
Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 28 minutes later
Hi XXXXXX

Thanks for updating the information.

As I mentioned in my initial post, fresh blood in the stool needs to be investigated. There can be a number of reasons for blood to be present but UTI is certainly not a reason. The following need to be ascertained before any conclusion can be drawn:
1. Was the blood well mixed with stool? Or it was passed before or after the stool?
2. Was the stool streaked with blood on one side?
3. Was it fresh blood or altered?
4. Was there any associated pain in the abdomen?
Though you mentioned that your daughter is not constipated it remains a very common cause of anal fissure which may streak the stool with blood. Another common cause of red coloured stool can be presence of vegetable fibres of substances like tomato which may be mistaken for blood.

I will suggest that you get her examined by a doctor who shall be in a better position to ascertain the cause of blood in the stool. There is no need to panic but it should not be taken lightly either.

I hope I have responded to your query to your satisfaction. Do write back if you have more queries.

Wishing your daughter all the best.

RKK