Does ulcerative colitis lead to cancer? Do I need colonoscopy every year?

Hi, I have been diagonised with Ulcerative colitis 4 years back. My condition has improved from then a lot. I have a stipulated diet and I have mostly stopped all medication. However sometimes ( once or twice in year ) I have the relapse symtoms. As soon as that happens I take my prescribed drub which is 10 mg of Omnacortil(corticosteroid) and Azoran and then slowly reduce to Nil till the symtoms stop. It is working fine. However I am often worried whether
1) I may develop this problem into a big issue over the years.
2) Whether I may develop cancer
How do i live peacefully? Do I need colonoscopy every year even if I dont have blood in stools?
Please answer
Posted Fri, 1 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 22 minutes later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your query.

I would like to know whether the entire colon is affected or only part of it is affected.
May I have the colonoscopy report?

Dr.Ratnakar Kini
Follow-up: Does ulcerative colitis lead to cancer? Do I need colonoscopy every year? 14 hours later
the initial diagonisis was pancolitis, when there was inflammation (reddish) all over the colon.

2.5 years back also there was a sigmoidiscopy done and I have the report.

After that there was no scopy done as I never had a serious level of problem. The XXXXXXX I would have is loose stools occasionally , may twice in a year (mostly no blood) and it was over in a week or so with the precribed medicine.

Do you need the old colonoscopy results ? I can share it if you want them.
Or do you need a new colonoscopy to be done?

My question is how frequently do I need to monitor this disease. Do I need colonoscopy to be repeated every year even if I dont have major relapse.? Do I stand a risk if I continue to be like this?
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 4 hours later
Thanks for the additional information.

The answer to your questions -

1. Ulcerative colitis may lead to colonic cancer later. So monitoring the disease is very important.

2. For pancolitis, annual colonoscopy should be done after 8 years of onset of disease.

Also you should be on maintenance treatment for ulcerative colitis. Discuss about it with your doctor.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini