Does tonsillitis cause swollen gums?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
Does tonsillitis cause swollen gums as well?
I contracted tonsillitis off my 20 month old son last week and reacted with ulcers on my tonsils, burning pain in my chest when I try to eat and my jaw and teeth throb as well as my gums starting to swell.

This started last Wednesday, I went to the doctors on Friday after experiencing chills and a fever through thursday night and was prescribed a course of penicillin.

Subsequently the swelling in my throat is reducing and most of my flu symptoms are reduced. I still struggle to eat or drink anything other than water as this results in extreme burning pain in my lower throat (approx in my breast bone), my gums are still swelling, my tongue is cracked and jaw still hurts, plus I'm still having night sweats, feel very nauseous and have quite a bad head. The ulcers are also still visible on my throat.

I'm 32 mother of two, never smoked, don't drink and have no allergies I'm aware of.

Is this just part of the course and do I need to man up and just grit through it, if so any advice for managing the symptoms?

Thank you so much for your patience with this and any advice would be gratefully received.
Posted Mon, 12 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 2 hours later
Are you sure you have no penicillin allergy? If you are sure, this gum swelling mouth ulcers etc must be due to the viral infection which you had.
As you may be aware viral infections do not respond to antibiotics.
After the viral infection like flu many people get these kinds of problems including a feeling of severe fatigue.
Gum swelling is not from tonsillitis!
This will improve over 10-15 days.
Take some fresh fruits, juices, cold milk and some bland food.
For pain you can take paracetamol tablets.
You will improve soon. Do not worry
Good luck
God bless
Regards Dr Uma