Does thyronorm cause bleeding during pregnancy?

My wife is 9 weeks pregnant and though the fetal development seems fine (USGs have come out very well) she has been experiencing some continuous bleeding which is dark red in colour and but of light density. This seemed to start after she started taking the medicine thyronorm to correct her TSH level from 4.09. I wanted to know if the use of thyronorm could be the cause for her bleeding during pregnancy? Please advice. Thank you.
Posted Thu, 6 Feb 2014 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 1 hour later
Brief Answer: No. It is safe in pregnancy. Rule out infection. Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to XXXXXXX I have gone through your query and understand your concern. First thing you have know is " It is safe to use Thyroxine in pregnancy". In fact, it's unsafe not to take thyroid medication during pregnancy if you need it in conditions like Hypothyroidism. Because women who don't receive enough thyroid hormone during pregnancy are at greater risk of multiple complications, including miscarriage, preeclampsia, and preterm delivery. Even not taking thyroxine may affect the brain development of fetus. There are many causes for bleeding in early pregnancy. 1. Miscarriage and ectopic pregnancy- as her USGs are normal, Nothing to worry about her miscarriage and ectopic pregnancy. 2. Infection- Any infection of the cervix, vagina, or a sexually transmitted infection. This can be ruled out by simple pelvic and vaginal examination. Further she may have additional symptoms like discharge, pain, itching or rashes. 3. Intercourse- During pregnancy, extra blood flows to the cervix. Intercourse may injure and trigger the cervix which may result in bleeding. Thus please rule out any infection by simple examination by your treating gynecologist. I usually advise my patients not have any intercourse during the first three months of pregnancy. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.
Follow-up: Does thyronorm cause bleeding during pregnancy? 23 hours later
Hi Doctor, Thank you very much for that well explained and detailed reply. Much appreciated. We would certainly check with our Gyneacologist to rule out infection. However so far on two separate examinations she has found no evidence of an infection. My question is if miscarriage, ectopic pregnancy and infection (we have not had intercourse ever since she suspected way back in November) can all be ruled out could there be any other cause/reason for the bleeding? We are terribly concerned and look forward to hearing from you. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Very rare Molar Pregnancy. USG and hCG levels. Detailed Answer: Hello, Another very very rare cause is Molar pregnancy. It occurs when the tissue surrounding a fertilized egg develops abnormally. But it can be easily ruled out by USG scan and hCG levels in blood. The levels of hCG, which often are higher than normal with a molar pregnancy. A molar pregnancy may start off like a normal pregnancy. Around the tenth week, abnormal vaginal bleeding, which often is dark brown in color, usually occurs. Sometimes, it's not possible to work out why minor bleeding happens. If the bleeding is light and settles down, there is a good chance that all is well and your baby and wife is fine. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.