Does thyroidectomy cause alteration in the process of alcohol metabolism?

May 2013
I really appreciated Dr. Luchuo's response to my question. Would it be okay to ask the opinion of other doctors on this panel on the question - "I have come across numerous amounts of literature about the alteration in the process of alcohol metabolism in patients post total thyroidectomy. Is it true that this type of surgery can affect the results of a blood alcohol level reading?"
Posted Mon, 8 Apr 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 5 days later

Total thyroidectomy sometimes can lead to hypothyroidism.
That can slow down the metabolism.
Which leads to delayed elimination of the alcohol levels from the system.
Though thyroid hormones supplementation is given, that may not be sufficient sometimes.
Because of this doctors usually recommend to stop drinking alcohol after total thyroidectomy.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.