Does thoracic surgery involve removing the air from lungs to check for toxins?

Pulmonologist
Question
Hi, my question is odd but here goes. I have a friend who says he is waiting for Thoracic Surgery - remove the air from his lungs to check for toxins etc afer being in a car accident in Africa. He sent me a picture of him in hospital and he looked ok, I thought he would be lying in a bed with tubes all over him. I am suspect that what he says is not true. Could you please shed some light on it for me.
Posted Wed, 12 Jun 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for visiting XXXXXXX

You have not posted all the details regarding your friend`s health. Without proper inputs it`s not possible to make an opinion and give any suggestions.

Thoracic surgery is advised for quite a few conditions for which a thorough prior work up is done which includes a number of tests and consultations by various consultants of inter related specialities.

Pl do forward more inputs and i`ll be glad to answer your queries further if you have any.

Follow-up: Does thoracic surgery involve removing the air from lungs to check for toxins? 3 minutes later
I have supplied all that I know. He was in a car accident and the doctors says they are removing the air from his lungs to check for toxins. My question is really about would he be sitting up with no tubes attached etc.

Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 25 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX

If your friend has undergone a major open thoracic surgery there would definitely be few tubes attached like a drain, an iv line and may or may not some more tubes depending on the case. But this will be soon after surgery say for next 48 to 72 hrs. Thereafter tubes are removed as patient starts recovering.

Follow-up: Does thoracic surgery involve removing the air from lungs to check for toxins? 15 hours later
Thankyou, thats what I meant. I understand the tubes etc after surgery, what about while he is waiting for the surgery. The surgery is due tomorrow and he looks quite fine at the moment eg. no tubes, not lying down. I do appreciate your response to my odd question.

Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 14 hours later

It`s not necessary to have tubes coming out of your body prior to thoracic surgery. All depends on the type of surgery.