Does the use of flucloxacillin affect menstruation?

My period hasn't started but I have just come off a 14 day course of flucloxacillin could that be the cause
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 40 minutes later
Normally flucloxacillin does not have any effect upon menstruation.That itself should not be the cause for the delayed period.
It would be helpful to know when your last period was,and the regularity of your cycles.
However,if you are sexually active and have missed your period by at least 2 weeks then you need to take a pregnancy test.Most importantly,there is a chance of drug interaction between oc pills and flucloxacillin.So if you have been taking both drugs simultaneously,then there is always a possibility of failure of contraception.
So do take the pregnancy test, and report to your gynaecologist immediately.