Does the semen analysis report indicate any abnormality?

Infertility Specialist
Hi Dr, My wife & I have been trying for a baby with no success so we've both had check ups. Thankfully her checks went well & she has no problems. I've had two semen examinations with disappointing results. I understand that conceiving naturally will be very unlikely and my GP said he didn't think it was worth referring me to an infertility clinic given that the results were so poor. I would be grateful if you can give a second opinion. My results were: Volume: 5mL Appearance: Normal Semen PH: 7.9 Motility: Quoted as "Occasional motile and non-motile sperm seen" Sperm Count: Less than 2 million (<2 10*6/mL) A previous test I took in November produced the same quantities and the sperm were quoted as having "Sluggish Progression" As I understand it a low sperm count is anything below 20 million and clearly I'm a long way from that figure at less than 2 million and with the disappointing motility quotes above what in your opinion would the chances of conception be? Looking forward to your reply Thanks, XXXX
Posted Thu, 6 Feb 2014 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: oligo astheno spermia Detailed Answer: Hi, You condition is called oligoastheno spermia indicating low sperm count as well as reduced motility. This condition is difficult to be improved. Anyway please see an urologist and get examined to rule out varicocele in scrotum. If this condition persists you will have to go for ICSI ( Intracytoplasmic sperm injection ) technique which is a part of test tube baby treatment. It is almost impossible to conceive naturally. Let me know if you have any more queries.
Follow-up: Does the semen analysis report indicate any abnormality? 23 hours later
Hi Dr, I've been reading up on ICSI recently and there appears to be evidence that the chances of birth defects & abnormalities is greatly increased using this method. One report quotes that birth defects are 57% more likely with ICSI compared IVF carried out without injection. There are no proven reasons reported but I would assume poor quality sperm would be a probable reason as defective sperm which may be used would never reach & fertilise and egg during natural conception. The other possible reason put forward is that it's due to the technique of ICSI. Going back to my results, do you feel it would be possible to successfully conceive using IVF without the use of ICSI? or would my sperm results make this this unlikely? Thanks, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later
Brief Answer: no Detailed Answer: Hi I know there are some reports of congenital abnormalities. But there are no evidence based reports of the same meaning these are based on few unreliable studies. But many systematic randomized studies have proved ICSI is safe and no problem. These large studies have proved that ICSI is safe and not much difference between natural or ICSI pregnancy. With your semen analysis it is almost impossible to conceive naturally. ICSI seems to be only way out. Regards Dr. Mahesh Koregol