Does the intake of Nexium cause dementia?

Neurologist, Surgical
Question
A friend heard on the news that Nexium has been linked to Alzheimer's & Dementia. Is this true?
I have been taking Nexium for over 10 years. Every time I stop taking it the acid gets unbearable.
I've tried other acid reducers and they do not work for me.
Thank you,
XXXX
Posted Tue, 17 May 2016 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There was found an association.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

A publication from german Doctors, concluded:
The avoidance of PPI (proton pump inhibitors not only Nexium) medication may prevent the development of dementia. Randomized, prospective clinical trials are needed to examine this connection in more detail.

In other words they found an association between PPI drugs use and dementia, but this doesn't mean that if you use PPI you definitely develop dementia.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Greetings.

Follow-up: Does the intake of Nexium cause dementia? 22 hours later
Please tell me what ingredient in PPIs is suspected of possibly increasing risk of dementia.
Also if I want to continue discussion with the same doctor every time, how do I do that?

Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Two possible mechanisms.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

There are five types PPI drugs that correspond to five different active ingredients ( esomeprazole lansoprazole
omeprazole pantoprazole,rabeprazole ).

All these ingredients act with same action mechanism, so all these may be linked to possibility of causing dementia with two possible mechanisms: direct damage of brain cells and lowering of vitamins B group due to impairment of absorption in the stomach.

There is no definite link between one or another PPI drug and dementia.

If you like to continue the conversation with me in the future, you can ask me directly at: tinyurl.com/DrSpahoAnswers.

Hope this helps you.

Regards.

Follow-up: Does the intake of Nexium cause dementia? 27 hours later
So what alternative is there.
I have extreme acid. All ready have scarring or damage from acid.
What food I eat doesn't seem to make a difference.

Thank you. XXXX

Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Alternatives Maalox, peptobismol etc.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

Alternatives include milk of magnesia, Maalox, peptobismol etc. combined with Ranitidine for example.

If the cause is stomach ulcer, treatment with antibiotics is necessary for two weeks (Metronidazole, Amoxicillin) besides antacids(You need to get a prescription for these from your local physician)..

Hope this helps.