Does the higher neutrophil count indicate some serious problem like hepatitis?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
My child has been asked to undergo Mantoux test and a CBC. The CBC report shows neutrophils higher by 20% and MCV lower by 14.75%. How can these results be interpreted. Does the higher neutrophil count indicate some serious problem like hepatitis?
Posted Thu, 15 Nov 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 11 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
First of all give me the compete CBC report.
High neutrophils should be interpreted with total WBC count.
Normally high neutrophils are suggestive of bacterial infection and against viral infection.
There is something called absolute neutrophil count( a medical term!!!!!).Iwill be able to calculate it from the complete report.
Reg.MCV when it is low it is suggestive of iron deficiency. There are some other conditions also for low MCV.
Reg mantoux test it is for detecting primary complex(childhood tuberculosis)
Why are you worried about hepatitis?
Hepatitis is usually a viral infection and does not have high neutrophils.! There are different tests like liver function tests to detect hepatitis.
Please send me the complete report.
Do not worry!
God bless
Dr Uma