Does the effect of Next Choice emergency contraceptive stay for 24 hours ?

In Feburary I took a Next Choice(my very first time taking anything like that), I bled for about 5 days after taking it and after that I have not had my period for the entire month of March. I took about 3 or 4 pregnancy tests and they all came out negative. Thursday, April 1st I had sex again and I took yet another Next Choice immediately after intercourse (he ejaculated in me), 24 hrs later... it happened again, will the Next Choice still work on preventing pregnancy because I already took it no more than 24 hours prior? I do not want to take another dosage because I know that the ingredients are not healthy to continue to take. This is my second time ever taking this emergency contraceptive. I would just like to know what could happen so that my mind will stop wondering so much. Thank you.
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 1 hour later
Hello crnewsome,

Next Choice is an effective emergency contraceptive. If taken within 72 hours (3 days) of unprotected sex this can still prevent a pregnancy. Since you have already taken a dose within the past 24 hours, this will still be protective against any pregnancy and you need not take any more doses of the medication.

Some common side effects of emergency contraception include menstrual irregularities including delayed or missed periods, reduced or increased menstrual flow, etc. But these effects are short lived and resolve on their own and no treatment is needed.

Hope I have answered your query.

If you have any more queries, I will be available to answer them as well.