Does the WBC count indicate any abnormality and why am I suffering from panic attacks and anxiety?

Excellent

Oncologist
Question
Dear doctor, hope you are well. I am a bery anxious person and suffer from panic attacks. I have had around 5 blood tests with past 13 months due to my thibking of something always wrong with me :( hypocondriac i think. Anyway everytime i have had a blood test my wbc count varies from 10.2 to 13.2. And my last bloods reported back 13.2 with 7.88 nuetrophils. My doctor doesbt seem to be worried but reading up on this worries me. I am a 34 year old male iverweight at 128kg and have type 2 diet controlled diabetes (this is well controlled at 6.2 hba1c) I dont have a fever or abything like that, in fact i have just recovered from one. I am wanting a answer from heamotologist pls. Look forward to your reply.
Posted Wed, 15 Jan 2014 in Blood Disorders

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 11 hours later
Brief Answer: Considerations Detailed Answer: hello and thank you for sending the question. Your question is a very good one and I will try to provide you with some information, recommendations and reassurance. It seems to me that you are worried about having elevation of your white blood cell count. I want you to know that normal values of any blood test reflective averages across the population. Some people have counts that are lower than the normal range and some other people have counts that are higher than the normal range. Most people fluctuate. You are a classic example of this. The fact that your hemoglobin and platelet count is normal is even more reassuring. If you had disturbance of more than just her white blood cell count we might consider that to be an issue. In your case all of your counts are normal. I agree with your doctor. This is not concerning in my opinion. If you order additional tests this will only cause more worry and confusion. If you find yourself fixating on this it might be beneficial for you to think about a consultation with a psychologist. A psychologist can help you understand and focus on issues which are creating anxiety. This type of energy should be used to help improve your quality of life instead of create more worry. Thanks again for sending your question. I would suggest checking a blood count again in 6 months and if it is normal at that time check again in 1 year. I'm confident that you are extremely healthy and you will live a long and prosperous life. Sincerely, Dr. G

Follow-up: Does the WBC count indicate any abnormality and why am I suffering from panic attacks and anxiety? 8 hours later
Thanks doctor. So its not lukemaia? Also can anxiety invrease the cells? It just seems i am so anxious! Even though my wbc have been up and down last 13 months or so? Would you say this is normal for me then?

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 10 hours later
Brief Answer: Follow up Detailed Answer: hello again. I do not see any evidence of leukemia. I do not think anxiety contributes to fluctuation of blood counts but it is certainly a possibility. It would be very difficult to prove this with a large randomized controlled clinical trial. Anyway, I am convinced that you are very healthy. Please follow up with your doctor as scheduled. Have a very happy new year. Dr. G

Follow-up: Does the WBC count indicate any abnormality and why am I suffering from panic attacks and anxiety? 40 minutes later
Thanks doctor, i hope you are being honest with me and not just saying what i want to hear. I really appreciate that you are sure i am actually ok.

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 24 hours later
Brief Answer: See your doctor Detailed Answer: as always we recommend that you see your doctor as soon as possible to discuss your concerns. Sincerely, Dr. G

Follow-up: Does the WBC count indicate any abnormality and why am I suffering from panic attacks and anxiety? 53 minutes later
Thanks

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: Followup. Detailed Answer: you're very welcome. I hope you continue to enjoy a very healthy and happy, long and prosperous life. Sincerely, Dr. G