Does taking topamax cause thrush?

Nov 2013

My aunt and I both take topamax. I have very few symptoms, I wish I had the weight loss one but I don't and I take 300mg a day. My aunt takes 50mg a day and she swears she gets thrush periodically. I call bull crap, only because I know she gets thrush when she eats sugar and I think she is trying to blame the topamax sometimes to hide her sugar attacks, and its not like it is affecting her 95lb body. But to be fair, has there been cases of thrush with topamax? I've read everywhere and can't find anything. Thanks!
Posted Sun, 14 Apr 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query.

I use topamax quite a lot for my patients with migraine as well as epilepsy. I prescribe them to at least 8-10 patients every week (for the past 15 years or so). I do not remember anyone complaining about thrush to me because of taking topamax. So, in my opinion, it is unlikely that topamax would cause thrush.

Regarding weight loss, only a small proportion have that effect. But at least weight gain is never seen (what happens with other medications for migraine and epilepsy).

I hope it clarifies.

Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,
My personal URL on this website:
My email: YYYY@YYYY
My Website: WWW.WWWW.WW My blog: