Does taking grape fruit juice while taking Lipanthyl 100 have any side effect ?

ENT Specialist
I have been prescribed LIPANTHYL 100 - can I also have grapefruit juice when I am taking this drug.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 22 minutes later

Thanks for the query,

LIPANTHYL 100 contains of Fenofibrate, a lipid lowering drug.

Before taking this drug, you will have to take certain precaution-

1. Dont take this with other drugs like beta-blocker (eg, propranolol), estrogen, or thiazide diuretic (eg, hydrochlorothiazide).

2. Dont take it empty stomach, cause it may cause the gastritis.

3. You may take this with fiber XXXXXXX diet, and fat free diet.

"Grape juice or any other fiber XXXXXXX diet can be taken with this drug."

Hope this helps you. I am ready for future follow ups ( if any)

Follow-up: Does taking grape fruit juice while taking Lipanthyl 100 have any side effect ? 3 hours later
I did not mean grape juice - I meant Grapefruit juice and not grape juice. I have read many articles which states that grapefruit juice should not be taken with any drugs which has statin and I understand that all lipid lowering drug contains the same.
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 3 hours later
Hi and thanks again,

The sole purpose of this drug is to reduce the fat contant of the body, and it is must to adjust your diet accordingly with it.

For this avoid unsaturated fats and take fiber XXXXXXX diet, it will increase efficacy of this drug.

Fibrates and statins both are seperate anti lipid agents, with fibrate you may take grapefruit juice, but not with statins.

Hope this will help you,

Wish you good health