Does taking ciprofloxacine cause yellow skin color?

General Surgeon
Question
Will the yellow skin color due to cipro go away? My doctor didn't tell me to stop taking the med when I reported it.
Posted Mon, 11 Feb 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 15 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Yellow skin is a symptom of jaundice. This condition appears when bilirubin level is increased due to liver failure, liver viral infection, bile ducts obstruction, medicines. Usually with jaundice, skin gets itchy, the stool may become whitish, urine can be dark. Eye balls also become yellow.
Sometimes, yellow skin can be also caused by lots of carrot intake. In such case, there is no itching.
It is advisable for you to have some tests performed to get to know the reason of your condition. Abdominal ultrasound, full blood work, liver tests (AST,ALT,GGTP), amylase, bilirubin, HBsAg level, anti-HCV level, urine analysis should be performed.
Only after this test proper treatment can be advised.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Does taking ciprofloxacine cause yellow skin color? 14 hours later
Alas, this didn't answer the question of yellow skin as a rare side effect of taking cipro. I guess I have to call the manufacturer since neither the doctors here or my own doctor are familiar with this.
Thanks

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 9 minutes later
Hello!

Please read carefully. I have written "This condition appears when bilirubin level is increased due to liver failure, liver viral infection, bile ducts obstruction, medicines".
Ciprofloxacine is in some part metabolized by liver enzyme CYP 450 (like many others medicines) and (like almost every medicine) can cause liver failure and jaundice. It does not make Cyprofloxacine special medicine with rare and specific for this medicine side effect. And it wont make any change in further proceedings. The first step always will be stop taking it. And manufacture will tell you the same.
I suggest you to rather check your liver as this seems more important for your health.

Hope this will help.
Regards.

Follow-up: Does taking ciprofloxacine cause yellow skin color? 3 hours later
Thank you.

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 hours later
You are welcome. Hope you will get well soon.
Regards.