Does taking bath salt 2 days in a row cause insomnia ?

I did bath salt 2 days in a row and 1st night 5 hours of sleep then next NO sleep so I called in..I can't fall asleep again is there anything I can do to fall asleep? I can't miss work again and going to the er will just mean I still won't sleep. Also, is there a way to stop grinding my teeth?
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 41 minutes later

Bath salts do cause cerebral and cardiac stimulation.

Not being able to sleep is due to anxiety and its cerebral stimulant effects.

To neutralize its effects you need to increase its metabolism and excretion out of the body by increasing fluid intake as much as possible.

Drinking a dilute XXXXXXX cider vinegar will also helps its excretion out of the body.

Do not take any sleep inducing agents as it may lead to respiratory center depression.

It will take around 48 hours for most of the effects of bath salts to pass off.

To get a good nights sleep follow this routine:
1. Take a warm bath, go for a relaxing stroll, or practice meditation/relaxation exercises as part of your regular nighttime routine.
2.Reduce your intake of caffeine and alcohol, particularly in the evening.
3.Try to go to bed at the same time every night, and get up at the same time each morning. This includes weekends.
4.Get plenty of exercise during the day.
5. Block out surrounding environmental noise.
6.Avoid napping in the afternoon.

For your teeth grinding the dentist will determine the cause for Bruxism.
Teeth grinding cures are dependent upon the main cause of the habit. If your dentist believes that your teeth grinding habit is the direct result of stress, then he might refer you to a psychiatrist for a series of behavioral therapies to help eliminate the habit.

If the problem is due to the alignment of the teeth itself, it is possible that the dentist will create you a customized mouth night guard for tooth and enamel protection.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Does taking bath salt 2 days in a row cause insomnia ? 59 minutes later
Thank you very much. I have to get up in a few hours and even if I fall asleep now I will be on 14 hrs of sleep in 4 days. I've never done this before and am nervous about tomorrow will I be able to function on such little sleep? My teeth are grinding due to the bath salt will that stop within 48 hrs as well?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.

Lack of sleep is likely to affect your mental alertness and abilities.

It is best if you avoid driving and operating any machines during this time to avoid accidents.

The grinding of teeth will also subside after the effect of the drugs you took wanes off.

Hope my answer is helpful.

Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.